Arnold Brown, Esq.
|Alma mater||Bowling Green State Univ., Bowling Green, OH - BA Psych/Science 1954 |
Rutgers University School of Law JD, 1957 
|Occupation||Ret.Attorney/Retail Bookseller |
|Employer||Du Bois Book Center |
|Known for||Civil rights|
|Spouse(s)||Lydia White Brown (D. 1995), Gwyn Worthy Brown|
|Children||Crystal, Beverly, Dale and Arnold II|
Arnold Brown is notable as a civi rights leader, author and historian, and retail bookseller in Englewood.  Born in Englewood ca 1930, he graduated from Dwight Morrow High School class of 1949, then attended Bowling Green University in Bowling Green , OH, and eventually Rutgers Law School, where he graduated with a JD degree in 1957.  In the 1960's Arnold Brown was elected the first black State Assemblyman from Bergen County. . A life changing event took place on August 23, 1963, when he traveled to Washington, DC, to attend the "I have a Dream" speech of Martin Luther King, durng the march on Washington. Already a leader inthe urban league, then only 31 years old, he secured VIP tickets and was sitting just a couple of rows behind King during the immortal speech. 
- Chair of African American Advisory Committee to Bergen County Executive Kathleen A. Donovan and the Bergen County Board of Chosen Freeholders 
- Chair of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Monument Committee
- Chair of the Bergen County Juneteenth Celebration Committtee
- Treasurer/Board of Trustees of the Englewood Pubic Library
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of the First Baptist Church of Teaneck
- Member of the Bergen County Historic Preservation Advisory Board
- Member of the Bergen County Human Relations Committee
- Member of the Kappa Theta Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Board member, Englewood Historical Society
- "Black Loyalists in Bergen County and 'The Book of Negroes' in The Revolutionary War in Bergen County, 2007; Co-Author of "Images of America: Englewood and Englewood Cliffs, 1998, The History Press, Charleston, SC and Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, SC. 
- Staff Writer. "Arnold Brown". Bio. Linked in. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/arnold-e-brown/20/876/559. Retrieved 1/21/2015.
- Staff Writer. "Crystal and Arnold Brown". Couple's Bio. Project Porchlight. http://projectporchlight.com/volunteer/crystal-and-arnold-brown-englewood-nj. Retrieved 1/21/2015.
- Ensslin, John (Feb. 21, 2013). "Historian from Englewood". News Article. the Record. http://www.northjersey.com/community-news/historian-from-englewood-gives-account-of-hearing-king-s-dream-speech-1.546138. Retrieved 1/21/2015.