Edward S. Brayton
|E. S. Brayton|
Edward S. Brayton, Esq.
|Born||ca 1817 |
Utica, NY 
|Died||Btw 1889-1891 |
|Alma mater||Union College, Rutgers Law|
|Religious beliefs||Dutch Reformed Protesant|
|Spouse(s)||Catherine Cortinious (Apr 17, 1826) |
|Children||Edw (b 1849); Sarah (b 1853); Arthur (b 1860); Mary (b 1863); Susan (b 1866); Emma (b 1869) |
Edward S. Brayton, Esq. (b 1817, Utica, NY) is notable, as he was an early investor in land in Englewood (1870's) (there being no evidence that he ever lived here), and Brayton St. is named for him. He attended Utica High School . And then Union College in Schenectedy, NY, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in 1852 . In 1864, he is listed in the Rutger's College catalog as "Edward S. Brayton, Esq.", and practiced law in Utica, NY.   In 1874, E.S. Brayton, was President of the Utica Steam Engine Company, on Fayette St. in that city.  In 1878 he is still listed as residing at 672 Utica St., in Oneida Cty, NY . Mr. Brayton certainly knew J. Wyman Jones from his church, of which Jones was a member . The first meeting at Jones's building, the City was proposed to be named "Brayton" among other choices. He was President of the Board of Trustees of the Dutch Reformed Protestant Church in Utica, and, among other positions , superintendent of their Sunday School . Near the end of his life he had risen to become the President of the 2nd National Bank of Utica, and was succeeded by William Mansfield White abt 1889 when he passed.  In the 1893 and 1908 Utica City Directory, his widow, Catherine was still listed as living at 262 Genesee Ave., in Utica. Thus she must have lived until abt. 1909.
- Staff writer (1875). "1875 NY State census". Utica, NY. NY State. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=NYStateCen1875&indiv=try&h=1366607493. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1896). "Oneida County, New York Biographies". William Mansfild White. Wager, Daniel. Our County and Its People, Part II. http://home.comcast.net/~richardson156/whitewm.html. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1880). "1880 US Census". Utica, NY. US Dept of Commerce. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&h=4425554&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7163. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1870). "1870 US Census". Utica, NY. US Dept of Commerce. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1870usfedcen&h=31563847&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=6742. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1885-1886). "Full text of yearbook". Yearbook. Oneida Hist. Soc.. http://archive.org/stream/no3t5yearbook03oneiuoft/no3t5yearbook03oneiuoft_djvu.txt. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1852). "A catalogue of the New-York Alpha of the Phi beta kappa". Catalogue. Union college. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/AJL9148.0001.001?rgn=main;view=fulltext. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff writer (1867). "catalog". Catalogue. Rutgers College. p. 4. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Edward+S.&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=Brayton&gsln_x=XO&msydy=1860&msypn__ftp=Englewood%2c+Bergen%2c+New+Jersey%2c+USA&msypn=7029&msypn_PInfo=8-%7c0%7c1652393%7c0%7c2%7c3244%7c33%7c0%7c292%7c7029%7c0%7c&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=yr6&cp=0&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=3561550&recoff=4+5+6&db=SchoolCatalogs&indiv=1&ml_rpos=45. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff Writer (1874). Utica City Directory, Misc. City of Utica, NY. p. IV, and etc. https://archive.org/stream/historicaldiscou00hart#page/50/mode/2up/search/Brayton. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Staff Writer (1878). Oneida County Directory. Kimball's Oneida County Directory. p. 36. http://interactive.ancestry.ca/2469/41199_1220706242_4248-00045/1410037025?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.ca%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26gss%3dangs-g%26gsfn%3dE.%2bS.%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dBrayton%26gsln_x%3dXO%26msydy%3d1860%26msypn__ftp%3dEnglewood%252c%2bBergen%252c%2bNew%2bJersey%252c%2bUSA%26msypn%3d7029%26msypn_PInfo%3d8-%257c0%257c1652393%257c0%257c2%257c3244%257c33%257c0%257c292%257c7029%257c0%257c%26cpxt%3d0%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3dyr6%26cp%3d0%26msypn__ftp_x%3d1%26msypn_x%3dPAS%26pcat%3dROOT_CATEGORY%26h%3d1410037025%26db%3dUSDirectories%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d4&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Hartley, Iaaac S. (Jan, 1880). Historical discourse delivered on the occasion of the semi-centennial year of the Reformed church, Utica, N.Y. .. (1880). Curtiss & Childs, Utica, NY. p. 63. https://archive.org/stream/historicaldiscou00hart#page/62/mode/2up. Retrieved 2/14/2015.
- Hartley, Iaaac S. (Jan, 1880). Historical discourse delivered on the occasion of the semi-centennial year of the Reformed church, Utica, N.Y. .. (1880). Curtis & Childs, Utica, NY. p. Pre and etc...