Brookside Cemetery in a historical cemetery in Englewood, New Jersey.
It was started in May 1876, by a group of Englewood residents who purchased 6 acres of land for a cemetery. The property sits on the East side of Engle Street adjacent to Tenafly, New Jersey. The cemetery was named for the brook running beside its eastern boundary. A chapel built with the local pink sandstone was erected on East Palisades Avenue and dedicated in March 1860. It was the first Presbyterian Church in Englewood and the first in Bergen County, New Jersey. It had a seating capacity of 200, and was expanded to accommodate 800 people was built in 1880. In 1887, the chapel was donated to the cemetery, and moved, stone by stone, to its present site near the entrance gate to the east side of the cemetery. When the chapel was moved, and reconstructed, the building was rotated and the entrance moved from the west side of the building to the east side. Mayor, and historian, Austin Nicholas Volk calls it: "One of the most beautiful cemeteries in Bergen County, New Jersey." Schuyler Warmflash refers to is as an "outdoor museum" and he wrote "[The] change of attitude — which made sites devoted to the dead reassuringly pleasant to the living — is clearly manifest in Brookside Cemetery".
- Frank Chapman, ornithologist.
- Davy Force (1849–1918), baseball pioneer.
- Dody Goodman (1914-2008), actress
- Dwight Morrow (1873–1931), represented New Jersey in the United States Senate from 1930 to 1931.
- Archibald E. Olpp (1882–1949), represented New Jersey's 11th congressional district from 1921 to 1923.
- Nance O'Neil (1874–1965), American stage and silent movie actress.
- Frank C. Osmers, Jr. (1907–1977), represented New Jersey's 9th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 1939–1943 and again from 1951-1965.
- Cullen Sawtelle (1805–1887), represented Maine's 5th congressional district from 1845 to 1847 and from 1849 to 1851.
- Robert E. Speer
- Thomas D. Thacher (1881–1950), one-time Solicitor General of the United States.
- George W. Wickersham (1858–1936), United States Attorney General from 1909 to 1913.
- There is one British Commonwealth war grave in the cemetery, of a Royal Canadian Air Force Sergeant SHANNON, CHARLES EDWARD, of World War II.
- "Brookside Cemetery History". Brookside Cemetery. http://www.brooksidecemetery.com/bc_history.htm. Retrieved 2007-08-26. "In May 1876, a group of Englewood residents purchased six acres of land to establish a cemetery. The property, on the east side of Engle Street near the Tenafly border, was named for the brook running along its eastern boundary. Charming as the site was, there was no building for memorial services. A chapel of pink sandstone native to the area had been built on East Palisades Avenue and dedicated in March 1860. It was the first Presbyterian Church in Englewood and the first in Bergen County, with a seating capacity of 200. The congregation grew and a new, larger church to accommodate 800 people was built in 1880. In 1887, the chapel was donated to Brookside Cemetery, and moved - stone by stone - to its present site near the entrance gate to the east side of the cemetery."
- Van Valen, James M. (1900). History of Bergen County, New Jersey. http://books.google.com/books?id=9KwPofkJTHYC&dq. "In 1876, this site then a wild barron spot, filled with chestnut, dogwood and wild cedars, was purchased ... He has also been connected with Brookside Cemetery as its Superintendent, from the date of its organization, and still holds that position, as well as being ..."
- Bouton-Goldberg, Bobbie (1998). Englewood and Englewood Cliffs. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7524-1324-4. http://books.google.com/books?id=D6cDENmTV6MC&dq. "When the congregation outgrew its walls, the chapel was dismantled and reconstructed at Brookside Cemetery. ..."
- "The History of First Presbyterian Church in Englewood, Part II". http://www.englewoodpres.org/history2.htm. Retrieved 2007-08-26. "Built of random coursed rough-hewn red sandstone ashlar, the chapel was twice enlarged at its original location. The 1865 addition was built of wood on the east side of the south end. In 1877, before the construction of the Vermilye Memorial Chapel, the building was dismantled and moved to Brookside Cemetery. When reconstructed there, it was turned around so that the original end is now south and the entrance is on the east, rather than west. Brookside Chapel, with its diamond-paned lancet windows is the purest example of early ecclesiastic Gothic Revival architecture in the city and one of the finest 19th Century buildings in Englewood."
- Warmflash, Schuyler (2001). The Architecture of Bergen County, New Jersey. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 0-8135-2867-4. http://books.google.com/books?id=WuTMRvoAGgMC&dq. "Picturesque funeral art and romantic landscaping are very much in evidence in this cemetery, which was laid out about 1875. ... This marked change of attitude — which made sites devoted to the dead reassuringly pleasant to the living — is clearly manifest in Brookside Cemetery, ..."
- "William Weaver Bennett". Findagrave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=72506002. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- Frank Chapman at Find a Grave. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Davy Force at Find a Grave. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Dwight Whitney Morrow, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Archibald Ernest Olpp, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Nance O'Neil at Find a Grave. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Frank Charles Osmers, Jr., Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Cullen Sawtelle, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed August 22, 2007.
- Piper, John F. (2000). Robert E. Speer: Prophet of the American Church. Geneva Press. ISBN 0-664-50132-X.
- Thomas D Thacher, United States Department of Justice. Accessed February 14, 2008.
- George Woodward Wickersham, The Political Graveyard. Accessed August 22, 2007.
-  CWGC Casualty Record.
- Find A Grave cemetery site
- Official website [dead link]
- Brookside Cemetery at The Political Graveyard