Charlotte Bennett Schoen
|Charlotte Bennett Schoen|
Charlotte Bennett Schoen
|Born||17 Mar, 1943 |
|Home town||Englewood, NJ|
|Known for||President, City Council|
Charlotte Bennett Schoen (Born Charlotte Bennett, Mar 17, 1943), a life-long resident of Audubon Rd. , is notable for having been City Councilwoman for Englewood, from 2005 (Second Ward) to 2010. , and City Council President in 2007.  Following her service to the City, she embarked on a mission to bring peace to the world. In 2010, on Jan 14, she went to Lucknow India to volunteer with an NGO affililated with American Jewish World Service. She had been to India 4 times previously. . She has a background in teaching (1963-1970) — and with efforts to raise awareness about domestic violence. The councilwoman worked for many years as an advocate for victims of domestic violence in Bergen and Passaic counties.  During her first term on council, she worked to rescind a giveaway employee's’ lifetime health benefit, and as Council President, secured passage of the town’s pay-to-play reform ordinance, setting strict limits on contributions by contractors and professionals seeking to do business with the municipality. She also spearheaded the town’s sustainability initiative, leading to the creation in 2009 of an Englewood “green team” to encourage conservation and step up recycling efforts. In 2013, she became District Chair for Peace and Conflict Resolution for Rotary International District 7490. Global Justice assignments have included Thailand and Burma (Myanmar) .
She is presently a Board member of the Englewood Historical Society.
- Global Justice Advocacy: NGO assignments in India, Thailand, Burma (Myanmar) (2011-14)
- Businesswoman: Property owner, Passaic Park NJ: 1970 – present
- Councilwoman, City of Englewood, 2005-2010, Council President 2007
- Initiative in sustainability and creation of Green Team
- Program Development Specialist: Bergen County Alternatives Domestic Violence, NJ: 1996 -2007
- Project Coordinator, Courtwatch: Bergen County Department of Human Services, NJ: 1993 - 1996
- Created position of project administrator for domestic violence reform in Family Court.
- Global Justice – Rotary District 7490, Chair Peace and Conflict Resolution 2013 to present
- Peace building workshops, NJ, NY and Burma;
- Community Mental Health Organization (aka Vantage)
- Founding President of Board of Directors 1975 - 1979; Board of Directors 1975 - 1984
- Board of Directors, Englewood Board of Health: 1979 - 1984
- Project Chair, League of Women Voters Mental Health / Transitional Homes Project, Bergen County, 1977 - 1979
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA: Master of Education 1966
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA: Bachelor of Science in Education 1964
- La Sorbonne, Paris, France: 1963
- Art Center of Northern NJ, Tenafly, NJ: 1967 to 1972
Illustrated Journals, Politics
- Staff Writer. "Charlotte Bennett". same. US Public Records Index, Vol 1. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Charlotte&gsln=Schoen&gsln_x=NS_NP_NN&msbdy=1947&msbpn__ftp=New+Jersey&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=yr6&msbdp=10&cp=0&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=39927044&db=USpublicrecords3&indiv=1&ml_rpos=1. Retrieved 11/21/2014.
- Staff Writer. "Councilwoman Charlotte Bennett Schoen to volunteer with global justice project". News. Rockland Jewish Standard. http://jstandard.com/index.php/content/item/councilwoman_charlotte_bennett_schoen_to_volunteer_with_ajws/. Retrieved 11/21/2014.
- Staff Writer (Feb 13, 2013). "Paramus Sunrise Rotary Hears Charlotte Bennett Schoen Speak About Her Upcoming Trip To Burma/Myanmar". News. Paramus Post. http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/20130213065121319. Retrieved 11/21/2014.