Englewood Golf Club

From WikiEnglewood.org
Jump to: navigation, search

Englewood Golf Club was a golf course located in Englewood, New Jersey and Leonia, New Jersey, just outside New York City, which hosted the U.S. Open in 1909.

A map of the front nine is available, http://i53.tinypic.com/29stah.jpg

The golf course met its demise when in the 1960s the approach ramp to the George Washington Bridge cut right through the middle of the property.[1] This portion of the NJ Turnpike was built on the border between Englewood and Leonia, NJ-dividing the golf course. The Cross Creek Point condominiums were built on the site in Englewood. Houses were also built Leonia site, where one street is called Golf Course Drive.

Additional information can be found by reading: "The Missing Links: America's Greatest Lost Golf Courses & Holes" by Daniel Wexler.[1]

It also held the wedding reception of New York Post Editor Joseph Cookman and his bride Mary Bass, editor of the Ladies Home Journal, in 1926.[2]


  1. 1.0 1.1 Englewood Golf Club, once a piece of golf history, now a piece of the Turnpike
  2. Mary Gibson Bass Oral History Project Columbia University 1976 Volume 1, page 30

Coordinates: Template:Coord/input/dmsTemplate:Golfcourse-stub Template:NewJersey-sports-venue-stub