Genesee Ave 's name is from the Seneca tribe Indian word Gen-nis'-hee-yo, meaning "the Beautiful Valley".. It is a street in the business district of Utica, NY where many of the Englewood Founding Fethers came from, and it is thus believed that they named a street here, to commemorate their business address in Utica.
- THE AMERICAN REVIEW; A WHIG JOURNAL DEVOTED TO POLITICS, LITERATURE, ART AND SCIENCE. VOL. VI NEW-YORK: GEORGE H. COLTON, 118 NASSAU STREET, Published 1847, Wiley and Putnam, p. 628.