History of the Police Department
In 1851 22 voters formed a volunteer "society for the Protection and Maintenance of Good Order" and used as single building as a police-fire station, lock-up, and courtroom. In 1869, there were "exempt members" who paid dues but performed no police functions and "marshals" who could be fined $20 for refusing to provide protection, but had no authority in civil litigation. In 1873, James A. Terhune was elected police chief. He hired five men who combatted public drunkeness, unmuzzled dogs, stolen pigeons, and wayward goats. 
In 1899 Frank Titus became Police Chief under a Democratic township government (1899-1914). In 1906 salaries were graded by length of service. In 1910 constables and roundsmen were permitted to carry firearms. In 1914, the Bureau of Police Commissioners was formed, and examinations were formalized. A 20 man Auxiliary Police force was authorized. In 1915 there were approx. 5 calls for police action each day, with mad dogs a special problem. In 1916, a club was formed to train police dogs for war. 
- Bouton-Goldberg, et al, Bobbie (1998). Images of America: Englewood and Englewwod Cliffs. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, Tempus Publishing Co.. p. 45. ISBN 0-7524-1324-4.
- Bouton-Goldberg, et al, Bobbie (1998). Images of America: Englewood and Englewwod Cliffs. Charleston, SC: Arcadia, Tempus Publishing Co.. p. 110. ISBN 0-7524-1324-4.