In 1860 Joseph W. Stagg built a small hotel on the west side of Palisade Ave opposite the railroad. . Though he built it, he did not operate it. That honor went to one John Ackerman, and so the place was variously known as "Stagg's Hotel" or Ackerman's Hotel". Later, when the place changed hands several times, it eventually became the City's first City Hall. 
- Adaline Wheelock Sterling (1922). The Book of Englewood. City of Englewood, New Jersey. p. 55. ISBN none. https://books.google.com/books?id=Lw0WAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=Stagg%27s+hotel,+Englewood&source=bl&ots=flF1V1B4Me&sig=7yY8FnkyI0ODEeAA1VfQ3yqTlSI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=k-0FVcmUIMTisATPuIGgAQ&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Stagg's%20hotel%2C%20Englewood&f=false. Retrieved 3/15/2015.