William A. Booth
|William A. Booth|
William A. Booth
|Died||28 Dec. 1895 |
|Home town||Englewood (as of 1866)|
|Spouse(s)||Louisa (b. 1820 - NYC) |
|Children||William T.(b. 1832); Mary T.H. (b. 1836); Rev. Henry M. (b. 1846) ; Mary A. (b. 1844); Frederick A. (b. 1848); Theodare L. (b. 1850) ; Catherine (b.1853).|
William A. Booth, a retired New York Banker, came to Englewood to make it his home in the Summer of 1866. . The upper part of the holding, some sixty odd acres, extending from Engle street to the Palisades, had striking picturesque features of forest trees, a brook or two and a pond, on whose banks the hist spring (lowers were to be found. The street level was higher here, and the house itself was located on the lower slope of a hill. Mr. Booth built his house, still standing at the north corner of Engle street and Booth avenue, (The house is today replaced by an apartment complex.) and the following year, a son, William T. Booth, erected a home nearly opposite, on the west side of Engle street. This example was followed in a year by J. Hugh Peters, a son-in-law, who built on property to the south of William T. Booth. Still farther south, on the west side of Engle street, near Demarest avenue, was the residence of another son, the Rev. Henry M. Booth. There were other Booths on Dwight place, where Charles H. Booth, the brother of William A., had settled with his family of three daughters.
The youngest of the Booth sons was the Rev. Henry M. Booth, but recently graduated from the Union Theological Seminary and called to the pastorate of the Presbyterian church in place of the Rev. J. H. Dwight, who had resigned on account of failing health. In September of this year, 1867, he entered upon a service of work and influence which continued for twenty-nine years. J. Hugh Peters was the son of the Rev. Absalom Peters and Harriet Hinckley Hatch, and came of Vermont colonial stock. He married Alary A. Booth and both entered into village and church activities. Mr. Peters was an elder of the Presbyterian church and was, for many years, the superintendent of the Sunday school. In business, Mr. Peters was a banker and broker and member of the Stock Exchange. William T. Booth studied medicine and received his degree, but never practiced his profession. He was interested with his father in the Booth property and was also connected with the New York Life Insurance Com- pany. The sons, son-in-law, and grandsons of William A. Booth were all graduates Williams College and may be said to have introduced the cult of this particular college into Englewood. .
- Staff Writer (1860). NJ Deaths and Burials index. State of NJ. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=FSNewJerseyDeath&h=507247353&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=7667. Retrieved 3/14/2015.
- Staff Writer (1860). 1860 US Census. US Dept of Commerce. p. 6. http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1860usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=47352589. Retrieved 3/14/2015.
- Adaline Wheelock Sterling (1922). The Book of Englewood. City of Englewood, New Jersey. p. 89. ISBN none. http://archive.org/stream/cu31924028828858#page/n107/mode/2up/search/Johnson. Retrieved 3/14/2015.